I am honored to serve as the Interim Chair of the Massachusetts Association of Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurses (MAAPPN). Diane Grimaldi, DNP, PMHCNS, proudly and ably served in the role until September 2021 when she stepped down. Since then, the Board has continued to meet and focus on the needs of the membership. Having been granted Full Independent Practice Authority (FPA) including supervisory reform measures on January 1, 2021, Massachusetts became the 22nd state in the nation grant FPA to nurses. With that important legislative gain, MAAPPN has continued to focus on strengthening our relationships with Psych APRNs, students, nursing school faculty, and the Board of Registration in Nursing, as well as fellow provider, policy and advocacy groups via the Mental Health Coalition.
I am particularly indebted for the ongoing support of the MAAPPN Board and our Legislative advocate, Mary Ann Hart for guidance and direction. Please review the Board Tab to learn more about each of these extraordinary people. In this interim phase, we are committed to:
- Forming the 2023 schedule of events including Member Meetings, and a Board Retreat
- Solidify an initiative that addresses the funding opportunities for student and preceptor support
- Keeping health care inequity awareness a priority
- Transitioning to an effective communications platform (TEAMS) for improved communications with members
- Promoting MAAPPN PAC efforts
- Retaining connections with Hart Government relations, Mental health Coalition, MCNP and BORN.
I thank you for your ongoing support by paying dues, spreading the word about MAAPPn and bringing colleagues to meetings! We are all in this together.